Attorney General Eric Holder, who recused himself in the AP case, told NPR last week that he’s “not sure” how many times he’s authorized the obtaining of journalists’ records. Holder declined to comment last week as to whether he recused himself from another ongoing investigation believed to focus on the reporting of New York Times correspondent David Sanger.
A spokesman for the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Columbia said in a statement Monday that the office was “limited” in what it could share because of the ongoing prosecution.
“The government exhausted all reasonable non-media alternatives for collecting this evidence before seeking court approval for a search warrant. Based on the investigation and all of the facts known to date, no other individuals, including the reporter, have been charged since Mr. Kim was indicted nearly three years ago,” the statement said.
Fox News executive VP Michael Clemente said Monday in a statement that the network is “outraged to learn today that James Rosen was named a criminal co-conspirator for simply doing his job as a reporter.”
“In fact, it is downright chilling,” Clemente continued. “We will unequivocally defend his right to operate as a member of what up until now has always been a free press.”